Thursday, October 1, 2009

Take a Hike!

They're sprouting up all over! Every town I visit these days seems to have one. Most are beautiful and have me itching to exit my vehicle and take advantage of these new phenomenons. I want to see what adventures lie beyond the small portion of pathway that is visible. I speak of walking/biking trails. In the past if a person wanted to hike or pedal down a scenic, secluded lane, they would go to the forest or a large park or even a country road. But these days you can leave work, exhausted from the daily rat race and within five minutes be refreshed and regenerated as you amble along a winding pathway, lined with trees, hedges and gorgeous flowers. Many even have beautifully landscaped resting areas.

Our town has recently completed one of these trails and though I haven't yet walked the entire length in a single trip, I have covered each piece at one time or another. It's a peaceful place where you can get your excercise while meditating or simply enjoying the weather. I don't get the chance to take advantage of the walkway as much as I'd like since I live thirteen miles from it, but I do see many of the town folk using the recreation trail on a regular basis. It almost makes me want to live in town again. Almost.

In spite of the convenience of this lovely area, there are still those who prefer to walk through town on the sidewalks, or on the street or on the blacktops surrounding the town. I don't mind them using the city sidewalks, but why the streets and roadways? It's simply not safe. And there are now other options!

As I drive into town or leave the city each day I usually have to slow and manuever around people who are walking or biking on the side of the blacktop. They don't seem to care that there are cars coming at them from each direction as they hold their ground in the middle of the road. I have honked only to receive a friendly wave in return.

Recently my husband and I were backing our car out of a driveway in town and almost hit two mothers pushing strollers as they walked down the middle of the street. My husband rolled down the window and asked if they didn't think it would be safer to walk on the sidewalk. The reply was that they couldn't fit side by side on the sidewalk! I guess their visiting took precedence over the safety of their babies. Wow!

If you are one of those who still haven't strolled along a recreational trail, I urge you to put it on your schedule soon. Get off your duff, get out of the road and take a hike! You won't be sorry!

No comments: